I've been perfecting my recipe since 2004. A lot of research went into uncovering what foods are healthy for dogs and those which are harmful or unnecessary. I make all my dog food batches with human grade food! We only use fresh meat during our preparation of Houndbowl dog food. Daily batches are frozen in 1L containers and are ready to go from my freezer to yours. No salt, no sugar, no color, no preservatives, just all dog friendly yummy ingredients.
- Ground beef is rich in essential amino acids, minerals and vitamins— exactly what our dogs are biologically set out to eat! At Houndbowl, we make sure your dogs have their required daily intake of meat, by ensuring all our food contains ~85% animal protein.
- Beef is a healthy choice of protein for our hounds. It's loaded with essential fatty acids like Omega 6 and it is filled with minerals and vitamins that promote healthy coats, skin, joints and muscles. And it provides our dogs with bountiful energy each day.
- Liver is a great addition to a dog's diet; especially if your dog is suffering from allergies and inflammation, such as arthritis and other auto immune disorders.
- Liver helps fight infections and even may be helpful in fighting cancer cells. It also does wonders to your dog's hair and coat!
- Liver is a fantastic source of protein.
- Liver contains high amounts of Iron, Copper, Vitamins E, B, A, Niacin & Zinc— all essential to your dogs health, energy level, brain development, coat, and many more benefits.
- Eggs are a fabulous source of very digestible protein, riboflavin, and selenium. For some dogs prone to digestive problems, eggs can give them a protein boost without upsetting their stomach.
- In my opinion, eggs are a super food for humans as well as dogs. A must have in all my batches!
- Many dogs have sensitivities to grains or gluten, leading to gastrointestinal issues. Starchy grains are highly glycemic and can cause many health issues in canines, including inflammation, obesity and adult onset Type 2 Diabetes. A VERY healthy choice for dogs is buckwheat, and this is what I use in all my Houndbowl portions.
- Buckwheat is considered a superfood. It's packed with wonderful and yummy nutrition high in fibre.
- Due to its low placement on the glycemic scale, buckwheat has been shown to help maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- Buckwheat protects the digestive tract from oxidative damage caused by free radicals, helping fight off cancer and infections in the digestive organs.
- Buckwheat contains more protein then grains such as rice, millet, corn, etc.
- It is rich in Magnesium & Potassium.
- Great source of B-Vitamins
- Excellent source of plant based antioxidants.
- Contains rutin which is thought to have anti-cancer properties.
Other Nutritious Ingredients
- Beans: Legumes are packed with protein, B Vitamins, fiber, iron, folate, potassium, magnesium, and phytonutrients. B vitamins are important as they help with many problems, including flea Allergies, excessive shedding, tooth problems, weight gain, premature greying, hair loss, anxiety, stress, and an increase in cholesterol. Fiber helps to promote good digestive health: by aiding in the passing of stools and keeping the bowel movements regular. Iron ensures there are enough red blood cells in your pup's body and, this of course contributes to your dog's good health.
- As a result, I add a small amount of beans to my batches of food and dogs love them! Following what I mentioned with the wolf and the liver, adding greens is also beneficial, so a dash of spinach is always a healthy choice.
- Spinach: Spinach contains large amounts of vitamins A, B, C, and K. It also contains iron, antioxidants, beta-carotene, and roughage, which stimulate the digestive tract. A very good addition to a happy and healthy dogs diet!
- Turmeric/Curcuma: Turmeric, or Curcuma as some people call it, is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants can be found mainly in fresh foods and they are known to help prevent a slew of diseases and slow the aging process and degeneration. Antioxidants fight free radicals; Free radicals naturally appear in our dogs bodies, but dogs who eat processes foods tend to have a higher production rate of free radicals. Houndbowl wants your dog to be as healthy as possible, for as long as possible, and we add this natural cancer-fighting spice in just the right quantity to each batch!
- Turmeric also acts as an anti-inflammatory reducing instances and symptoms of allergies, dental disease, cancers, arthritis, digestive disease, kidney disease, and many more.
- Turmeric has been found to fight cancer and slow it's growth.
- Turmeric is a natural pain reliever.
- Peas: Green peas are full of vitamins that dogs need. They are a great source of the B vitamin, thiamin, phosphorous, and potassium.
- Carrots: Carrots are high in fiber, vitamins, and beta-carotene.
- A small amount of veggies are always a great choice- a medley of carrots and peas is perfect.
- I use just a little bit of coconut oil to cook the eggs and liver on. Dogs adore the taste and smell of it. It's packed with lots of goodness, such as lauric acid. Lauric acid has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Coconut oil improves the health of skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions! Just like it's a super food for us humans, it's a super food for our furry friends! My go to fat is always coconut oil!